The North Central P-16 Council is composed of representatives of K-12 school systems, institutions of higher education, local governments, chambers of commerce and economic development agencies, and businesses and industries in Sumner, Robertson, Wilson, Macon, and Trousdale counties in north middle Tennessee.
The Vision of the North Central P-16 Council is to promote the relationship between education and the value of work, develop a highly trained workforce, and create a culture of lifelong learning by positively impacting student success through awareness, advocacy, and action.
The mission of the North Central P-16 Council is to bring together stakeholders from the private and public sector to strengthen connections, improve communication, share resources, knowledge, and expertise, to improve student success for all students pre-kindergarten through postsecondary.
Goal 1: To help students prepare for career and/or college
Action Steps/Outcome Measures:
- Encourage communication and dialogue among community stakeholders about education and workforce development
- Host quarterly North Central P-16 council meetings with targeted agendas
- Hold a K-12 school directors forum
- Develop programs and initiatives to improve student success, teacher training, and business engagement
- Develop career exploration / information programs for middle school students
- Partner with local business, industry, and education organizations to develop work based learning opportunities for secondary and post-secondary students
- Develop “teacher in the workplace” professional development opportunities for K-12 and post-secondary teachers
- Seek funding streams from business partners to support internship and externship opportunities
- Recognize business, industry and individuals in the five county council area that support education
- Annually present a BEST (Businesses Empowering Students and Teachers) Award to one deserving business, industry, or individual from each of the five counties
- Establish a communication platform to better engage local stakeholders and community members on matters related to education and workforce development
- Create a P-16 Council blog
- Establish a baseline of 10 visitors per day
- Create 20 blog entries/articles