The start of a new semester provides students with a clean slate of classes and new opportunities to learn and grow; it’s also a good opportunity to ask yourself:
What will make me academically successful this semester?
Good answer: making use of your Vol State Thigpen Library‘s resources, services, and spaces (as applicable). Here are some suggestions:
- Schedule a research consultation with our team of professionals before starting an assignment that requires a research component.
- In-person consultations can be scheduled at the VSCC locations in Gallatin, Livingston, Cookeville, and Springfield. They are also available via unscheduled drop-ins during specified hours.
- Virtual research consultations are also available by appointment and are held using the College’s Zoom web-conferencing system.
- Use 24/7 chat and text services at point of need for research assistance and to ask other library-related*** questions such as about our hours, spaces, services, and resources: Text 615-956-2275 (2ASK) or Chat with us now!
- Research Guides are the most efficient way to start self-directed research endeavors. You’ll find guides for specific courses (e.g. ENGL 1010/1020) as well as those for specific and general disciplines (e.g. psychology or “health sciences”). Research guides direct you to the most appropriate databases to search for information sources and some include brief educational videos to help you develop your research skills and understanding of the research process.
- Watch “Navigating the Library’s Website” to become more efficient at navigating the current website to find what you need.
- Study in a library and not a busy area where people are moving around and chatting. You will concentrate better with fewer distractions. Thigpen Library in Gallatin offers you 3 different “noise zones,” from conversation-friendly to absolutely silent, to suit your personal preferences. If you’re not near a Thigpen Library location, then visit your local public library or a very quiet cafe’ for similar benefits.
As always, your kind and professional library staff are eager to assist you: CONTACT US.
- Thigpen Library in Gallatin supports all VSCC students wherever you may be, including online, taking classes at any VSCC location or dual enrollment, etc. Direct support from Gallatin library staff is available during our hours of operation.
- Library specialists are available for in-person assistance at Cookeville, Livingston, and Springfield; please see this guide for their hours.
***The physical library locations do have some textbooks & DVDs for film classes available for short-term in-library use through our course reserve services. If you need to lease or purchase a textbook for use all semester? You need the Bookstore (they require $)…