Struggling at 2:00 A.M. with research for your assignment?
Panicking at 4:00 A.M. about citing credible sources in your paper?
KEEP CALM & CHAT ON!
At any time day or night, research assistance from Vol State’s Thigpen Library is just keystrokes away at the speed of CHAT!
Whenever you use Thigpen Library’s online CHAT service or text your questions to 615-956-2ASK (2775), the first available librarian will answer you.
To help complete your research assignments, CHAT can deliver:
- Knowledge of library resources available to complete your research assignments
- Tips to find & filter the correct sources that your assignment requires
- Instruction using library databases to retrieve journal articles or the library’s online catalog to connect to e-books & streaming video
- Help with the process of academic-level research
- Search strategies including keyword & search term suggestions
- Help evaluating a source’s credibility
Prefer to work directly with a Vol State Librarian?
The library offers one-on-one research help when you:
Need to borrow books, DVDs or technology like video cameras, graphing calculators, voice recorders or photo cameras?
Explore the host of services offered at Thigpen Library and all of Vol State’s campuses and sites!
Linking to Library Resources in eLearn
This “back to the classroom” online workshop series runs August 22-25, 2017.
InfoBytes in September
On Wednesday, September 6 @ 2:30 PM learn about New York Times Online, which will be held simultaneously online via Zoom and in the Library Instruction Center (Thigpen 226). For more go to event details and registration (volstate.libcal.com/event/3453878)
On Tuesday, September 12 @ 2:30 PM discover the power of Lynda.com, which will be held simultaneously online via Zoom and in the Library Instruction Center (Thigpen 226). For more information go to event details and registration (volstate.libcal.com/event/3453914)
On Wednesday, September 27 @ 2:30 PM learn how to access Chronicle of Higher Education. This session is online via Zoom. For more information go to event details and registration (volstate.libcal.com/event/3454317)
Preview these resources here:
As of June 5th, all Vol State students, faculty, and staff have full access to the digital New York Times through Thigpen Library’s subscription.
Special content that is included with your academic access to the New York Times:
- World Pages: Up-to-the-minute news specific to every country from around the world. Includes archival information, photos, graphics, audio and video published on a specific topic such as a country or world region (these are part of our TimesTopics pages, with academic utility represented in disciplines ranging from Science to Business.)
- Videos: Over 37,000 videos available on NYTimes.com, students and faculty can easily search and share compelling content.
- NYTVR; Featuring immersive virtual reality content.
- The NewYork Times in Education: Featuring turn-key, learning-outcome aligned activities, using The Times’ content. The resources contained within this site were created by faculty for institutional use.
- New York Times Article Archive content is available in full text, too (w/some limits).
To take full advantage of this subscription, create an account using your Vol State email.
Want to learn how to create your account and use the New York Times? Register for the InfoBytes Workshop on September 6 at 2:30pm! You can attend the workshop virtually from any computer, too.
For a 20-30 minute investment of time, learn something important!
Thigpen Library’s InfoBytes sessions can be attended online via Zoom (web-conference) or in person (Library Instruction Center Room 226, Gallatin Campus).
Summer InfoBytes workshops are scheduled as follows:
Discover how Lynda.com can help you learn business, software, technology, and creative skills to achieve personal and professional goals.
Beginning in early June (6/5) the New York Times Online is available to everyone at Vol State. Get the basics of setting up your personal account so that you can use this resource for your professional and academic needs.
Need suggestions for your summer reading? Can’t keep up with the latest book of the week from James Patterson? The answer may lie in Books & Authors, a resource from the Tennessee Electronic Library.
Do you need to brush up on your writing skills? Is the ACT, SAT, LSAT, GRE, or GMAT in your future? Then you need to know about LearningExpress Library. This wonderful free resource from the Tennessee Electronic Library can help you with your educational and career goals.
InfoBytes are presented to you by Thigpen Library’s crackerjack team of experts. Knowledge is yours: just ASK.